12 June 2010

12/06/10 - Paris - France

It does not get dark until about 11pm here in Paris so time can get quite deceiving. First on today's agenda was a four hour walking tour of Paris. We only just made the tour as the station was unmanned so we could not purchase tickets. The station we needed to get off was closed so we alighted from the next one and had to explain why we had no tickets. After this we had to take another train to St Michels Notre Dame where we made the tour with only minutes to spare. We have already seen some of the sights previously but it is always interesting to hear more about them. We crossed the famous Ponts Des Arts bridge where each side of it's wired wall has padlocks where lovers write or engrave their names on it, lock it to the fence and then throw the keys into the river below. We also heard all about Napolian and saw the tomb where he is buried. We next visited the Palace of Versailles which was Louis XIV's home after moving from the Louvre. The gardens are truely amazing and cover an area of over 2500 acres with 32 fountains. The palace is like everything in Paris - huge and grand on a scale I have never seen before. I've enjoyed visiting Paris much more this second time around. 

2 comments:

  1. The BBQ sounds perfect! You will really enjoy your trip to Windeyer then. See you soon, adieu! Julie PS I still love the blog, I read it everyday, I think it is called voyeurism and a smattering of "I wish I was there"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael and Family,
    I too have enjoyed reading the blog and all your adventures. I read it every couple of days and think its a great way to remember all the finer details of places. It makes it so much personal reading places I've been too. I still can't get the Palace of Versailles out of my head. I brought the book because a camera couldn't catch all history and details.
    This whole experience has been great for everyone. I know I haven't replied, because its hard (even for me) to know what to say. However, only you Michael, would know its cost you $180.00 for the family to go to the toilet. The pictures are amazing and the scenery unbelievable. So absorb and enjoy the final days. And my tip is: make sure everyone goes to the toilet before you start your day. HA HA HA!!!
    Here's to fine weather and smooth travelling. Can't wait to read the book.
    Cheers, Gai Luff

    ReplyDelete