10 May 2010

10/05/10 - Hamburg - Germany

Our last night in the Thai prison - we have been parolled! It doesn't get dark in Amsterdam until almost ten at night which by now I'd imagine is about fours later than at home. Most of the shops have cats and I'm told this is to keep the rats from the canal under control. As I said it is very expensive here. If you want mayonaise with your chips from McDonalds (apparently quite big here) a small sachet is 2 Euros ($3.50) and one and a half days parking cost us a staggering $AU175!!! I'm really glad I came to Amsterdam but not sure if I would be in a big rush to go back - perhaps if I was thirty years younger. Up at 7am to get an early start and considering it is only three odd weeks until Summer it hovered only around 10 degrees all day. We drove 460klms to Hamburg with the odd break. The Autobahns make for a quicker trip where I peaked at 160 kph otherwise the general speed limit is between 120 - 130. We went looking through the shops and their Parliament House at Hamburg and thought it is very nice. We had dinner at a traditional but tiny German pub. There was only six tables and the non-English speaking owner was cook, waiter and bar man. An early night tonight.   

1 comment:

  1. Reading your blog is a great diversion from doing my Uni assignments!! (Glad to hear you have left the dungeon accommodation). The home of Anne Frank very sad but also very strange to be in a place with such a terrible history. I only read parts of the book last year when Claire was studying it at school (Year 8)- such a sad, sad story.

    ReplyDelete